Thursday, October 27, 2011

Piano

I have this picture that I’ve always loved. It is a picture of Becca sitting on my lap while I played the piano. It was taken at her house in Laie, HI. I suppose I like it so much because it reminds me how Rebecca used to thoroughly enjoy listening to me play. She would sing and I would play. We could go on for a while. I mostly play classical music and don’t really enjoy playing for people to sing with. For me, it is just much more enjoyable to play Chopin rather than pounding along to a church hymn for people to sing along to.

When I proposed to Rebecca I wanted to be creative and do something out of the ordinary. I had three ideas originally. My first was to take her snorkeling and let her find the ring. Then have in permanent marker on my chest, “Will You Marry Me?” I was a little unsure about how to get away with slipping in the water without her seeing my chest first. Then there was the factor of the ring. Certainly I wouldn’t leave it in the ocean. So I’d have to have it in my pocket and then pull it out at the last minute. Rebecca wasn’t a very good swimmer so I decided against this option.

I don’t remember the 2nd idea but I’m sure it was very creative and fun. It was the 3rd option that I went with. This idea was to send her on a scavenger hunt all around Laie. We had a class together at BYU. The plan was to fake being sick and leave class early. I had given the professor a note to give to her when class was over. When class was over, she read the note and the hunt was on. Becca loved surprises! I had our friend Mandy stay with her so that she wouldn’t get too far off track. According to Mandi, Becca was running like crazy trying to get to the next clue and decode the puzzle. I don’t remember all the places I sent her. I do remember the first one was at the Seasider on the BYU campus. I sent her to 3-4 places around the campus. Then it was to the Laie LDS temple for a few more clues. After that I had sent her to her house on Laie Point at the end of Naupaka St. I had a few clues around her house.

I don’t really remember what most of the clues were but I do remember the last two. The first of the last clues was, “Look to the 88 keys of my heart for your next clue.” Of course she went right to the piano. The final clue was. “Please come take this very high, final leap of faith with me. We’ve made this jump many times together but this time you will have to do it alone. There you will find your final clue.” This of course meant that she was to jump off of Laie Point by herself. This is about a 40’ jump into the choppy ocean. Becca was not a strong swimmer and later told me that it was very hard to make the jump because she was so scared. When we had done it in the past there was always a large group of people. This time she was all alone. I don’t think she would have normally done it but the excitement of what was to come out-weighed her normal logic and reasoning. So she took the plunge. When she landed I had been sitting in a cavern underneath the cliff that she had just jumped off of. So prior to jumping she couldn’t see me. However once she landed and resurfaced she could see me standing there in the cavern. I was wearing white pants and a Hawaiian shirt. I helped her out of the water. I waited a few seconds for her to catch her breath and then I proposed to her. So of course she was already out of breath from swimming, she starts chocking on the water and she starts crying. But then she replies, “Yes! Yes! Yes!” (I knew she’d see things my way).



Why do I bring up how I proposed to Rebecca? Among the many clues that I scattered across town I tried to incorporate things that were specific and unique to our courtship. I don’t know why my piano playing was so significant to our courtship but Becca and I both have fond memories around that instrument. I thought it was especially significant that that was the second to last clue. Then finally doing something totally wild and crazy that she wouldn’t do for just anybody was also significant. (Marriage to me wouldn’t be anything else).

Besides our apartment living phase, we pretty much had a piano throughout our marriage. I think it was a symbol, to Becca especially, that we were a family. I remember sitting around the piano in our previous house. We had obtained guardianship of Rebecca’s sister, Lela. The twins were about a year old and Elijah was about 4 years old. I had sat down and started playing some Christmas Carrols. The whole family migrated toward me and eventually we were all singing together. It was a moment of such happiness. Later Rebecca cried and said, “We are a family.” Sort of funny that it was only after 5 years of marriage that she really felt that. I mean I know she felt that before. I just think that in that small moment it was a glimpse into the future of what she’d always hoped for. Thinking back to the first apartment we were in, used furniture, old beat up cars. We were very happy but that’s not really every girl’s fantasy. However over time you build and create the family that you desire. I think it was just being in our first house, the kids were happy, she and I were happy, it was a subtle moment but that moment seemed to speak volumes regarding how far we’d come along.

As I said before, I don’t particularly enjoy playing for people to sing along to. Rebecca and our children are just about the only one’s I’d do it for. It was sort of strange but after Rebecca passed away I quit playing the piano. I would sit down. Read the note. Touch the keys (no sound). But I never played. When Rebecca died she just took so much of me with her and I felt like that part of me was gone too. It was as if I was just afraid to feel what I feel when I play the piano.

It was roughly a year after Rebecca’s death that I finally decided I felt okay to play the piano again. I would play for short periods but would quickly lose interest. The passion was gone. It just felt dull and void. There was no longer anyone to encourage me and frankly I was just bored of it.

Typically I would start to play after the children had gone to bed. I didn’t particularly like playing while they were awake because they always wanted to come and bang on the keys while I was playing. They would harass me about insignificant things so I found that in the evenings after they were in bed was the best time to practice.

Despite my lack of not ‘feeling it’ I would push myself to play anyway. It wasn’t until maybe 2-3 months after I started playing again that I sort of took a break for a week or so. That was when Elijah said to me, “Dad, why haven’t you been playing the piano anymore?” I smiled and said, “Oh, I didn’t know you guys noticed.” He replied, “Oh yeah, I love it when you play. It makes me so happy and I love listening to it as I fall asleep.” So I decided, hey, it’s time to get serious about this piano business again. I suppose now my children will be my audience.

On Monday this week I had put the kids to bed and immediately came out to start playing. I was just in the mood to play something different so I started playing patriotic hymns. While I was playing America the Beautiful my little Rachel slipped out and came to sit on my lap. She said, “Dad, I know this song.” She then started to sing along. Eventually Lauren slipped out to tattle that her sister was out of her bed. I told Lauren that it was okay, Rachel and I were just playing and singing together. I think Lauren thought, “If Rachel gets to get out of bed to sing. I will too.” Before long all three of my kids were standing around singing while I played. It felt so happy. It just felt like for a small moment that even though Rebecca was gone we were happy again. I just felt at peace and that everything we were doing was right where we should be.

4 comments:

  1. Jared I love it! Thank you for sharing this beautiful piece of you and your family! You are an amazing father and I love to feel the happiness through your words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this picture of you guys!

    So glad you are playing the piano again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I came across your blog oddly enough from a comment you made on a hair braiding page on facebook. I read your entire blog. I loved every word. Thank you so much for sharing your story with the world. I have felt so touched by your sweet spirit and memories of your wife. My Father died when I was 6 and although I have not lost my spouse I understand loss all too well. Your words have given me comfort and I thank you for that. I wish you all the luck in the world in all of you endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful! I loved hearing about how you proposed to her. You are very creative and I can tell you loved each other so much. I am glad you are playing the piano again. I have had several things that I have had to force myself to start doing because it hurt too much to be doing it alone. Sometimes it helps to do them and sometimes is just hurts. I think we have to play it by ear. My Mom used to practice the primary songs as I fell asleep when I was a little girl. There was something magical about falling asleep to the piano. Keep playing for your children. They will remember it fondly for the rest of their lives. :)

    ReplyDelete